Thread: Email delivery error 451 speed limit

Default Email delivery error 451 speed limit

Every time I send an email out through Bluehost I get 451 speed limit delivery error messages. I get maybe a dozen back every time I send--I send out 70 each time. I use Mailpress and they say it's Bluehost. What gives?

If I'm not mistaken, Bluehost has a default 50-per-hour limit on sending emails. You can get Bluehost to bump that limit up (to 500-per-hour, I believe). Otherwise, you could split your mailing list up into chunks smaller than 50 recipients and send them spaced out over time.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Yes, the default limit is 50 outgoing emails per hour. On request, it can be increased, to an absolute maximum of 500 per hour.

OK, thanks for the info. I'll make the request.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Bluehost has a default 50-per-hour limit on sending emails. You can get Bluehost to bump that limit up (to 500-per-hour, I believe). Otherwise, you could split your mailing list up into chunks smaller than 50 recipients and send them spaced out over time.
    I to have started to get this 451 Speed Limit message.

A 50 email per hour limit?

Is this something new? I've never in the 4 years that I've used BlueHost, seen this limitation.

The 50/hour limit has been there as long as I've been a customer, over 2 years.

Just chatted up support and got it increased to 350.

Initially I had asked for the maximum as suggested here but then was asked, "How many I wanted to send per hour?" Which I thought was weird so I guesstimated 200-300 and so they gave me 350.

Still, I've never seen the Error 451 Speed Limit message before and I know I've and my other domains have sent more than 50 emails in an hour many times in the last 4 years.

I don't know how you've managed to avoid hitting it - I recall bumping into the limit about 3 days into my initial subscription, when I tried to send a message to a list of about 65 people, giving them my new email address! :)