Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone sending spam using my email address as the return path

Default someone sending spam using my email address as the return path

Has anyone had this issue? someone is sending spam and using my email address as the return path. I am getting 100's of 550 error messages returned to my inbox. Any suggestions on how to correct this without deleting my email address?:confused:

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

There is effectively nothing you can do about this, except to wait for it to stop.

Forging a return address on email is no more difficult than writing a letter, putting it in an envelope, putting someone else's return address on the upper left corner, and dropping it in a mailbox.

If you're using an email client program like Outlook to fetch your messages, you could set up a rule that looks for something in the subject line, for example, that identifies these bounce messages, and moves them all to a junk folder, for easier deletion.

Usually, the spammers don't keep using the same address for too long - if they did, they'd start getting blocked. So, they switch spoof addresses pretty regularly, and your bulging mailbox should return to normal.

All spammers usually do that with the from address. hat way if their spam is blocked by the to address it is often forwarded to the from address (where the to mail server is set to bounce undeliverable messages instead of just deleting them).

Valdeam Guest

Most e-mail programs can set filters.
    I use GMail for the majority of my work and can easily set filters for all my blog moderation emails and server notifications to go under a separate label.
    Even with Outlook you can set rules for it to fall automatically into another folder and you don't have to look at them rolling in. Just delete the e-mails that pile in there from time to time.

Valdeam
    Last edited by Early Out; 05-03-2009 at 03:45 AM.

Default My Account has been suspended

someone is sending spam and spoofing my domain as the return address? Or is someone actually sending spam that's promoting my site in the body of the message?

This one is true. My hosting provider got the message from SPAM cop, that I am spamming.

This Domain (srinivasweb.com) Has Been Disabled. i have added 8 domains as addon domains. all those domains are not working.

i have sent mail to abuse(at)bluehost but i am not getting response.

Quote Originally Posted by webthoughtspot View Post
    This one is true. My hosting provider got the message from SPAM cop, that I am spamming.
    That would indicate that the spam is actually originating from your site. If you are not sending emails that are being misidentified as spam (which can happen) then someone else is making use of a security hole in one of the scripts your site is running to send the spam.

Exclamation This Domain Has Been Disabled

:mad:My site was also hacked and being used for spamming and since then being disabled. I do not get anywhere to re instate it although I have removed the files that caused it. Feedback from 'abuse' just keep on confirming the spamming error. It was trojan virusses which should have being picked up by Blue host themself. Where from here? Looking for a new host? My site was running for 2 years before with no problems.
    Can I check for virusses myself in the future?:confused:

You are responsible for whatever gets installed on your site. If you provide a means for someone else to install something onto your site without permission then you need to not only clean up what they installed but also clean up whatever it was that allowed them to install it so that they can't do it again.

If you are using one of the popular open source scripts then you can minimise the chances of a security hole by always running the very latest version of the script.

Default Spam from my domain, not replies

By open source scripts do you mean CGI's like simple mail? I'm actually getting mail sent to my yahoo mailbox from my domains with spam subjects, these aren't replies. It's coming from the domains of two accounts I manage. I'm using simple little form mailers, in fact it's called Simple Mail. Will using bluehost's script bluemail stop this problem?

Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    You are responsible for whatever gets installed on your site. If you provide a means for someone else to install something onto your site without permission then you need to not only clean up what they installed but also clean up whatever it was that allowed them to install it so that they can't do it again.

If you are using one of the popular open source scripts then you can minimise the chances of a security hole by always running the very latest version of the script.

Default Bluehost's approach to this issue SUCKS

I don't know if you work for Bluehost or someone appointed you moderator of the board, but your response sounds just like the phone call I had with a really rude woman in Bluehost's security department when my site was shut down. Two people on this thread had the same thing happen to them--it is just wrong to be treated like a criminal by the people we're paying to help us.

Sure we're supposed to know what's going on with our accounts, but how many people who build websites are actually ace programmers? Cyber criminals are crafty fokkers. My scripts are installed through Bluehost's control panel and it almost sounds like Bluehost offers all this great stuff to get you to buy, then washes their hands of you. "You're on your own now. Make sure a hacker doesn't sneak in."

Javo didn't sign up two years ago thinking "haha! In two years I'll send a spam message to the world!" I've been customer of bluehost for more than five years. The fact they don't respond and just shut down a site, then treat you rudely on the phone really sucks. :mad: This woman didn't ask me "are you spamming?" she said "You ARE spamming." Sure. Five years ago when I signed up, that was my evil plan.

No customer loyalty at all.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post